Friday, July 27, 2007

From Hell to heaven all while working from home.

Friday was a traumatic day. My dog Olive who is 10 years old had a seizure in the kitchen. The day started as normal with the addition of Baxter the elderly Beagle I'm dog sitting . We got up, went outside, ate breakfast and then Olive walked by me and just kind of tipped over, legs stiff, muscles tensed and her eyes rolled into her head. She just wobbled a little on the floor then her head whipped back for a second or two. I tried to calm her down, petting her, talking to her, and after a minute or two she was looking at me again. She hung out for a little bit then got up and walked around...napped pretty much the rest of the morning. I took her to the vet in the afternoon and she was happy and hyper like normal. They said her blood work came back looking excellent and they have no idea what caused it. It could be environmental, stress, a brain tumor, or a one time occurence that may be related to her age.

I heard this morning about food triggers, mainly purina brand dog food, which triggered seizures in other dogs. This is not completely out of the question as the cause since she ate a handful of Baxter's food about 20 mins before it happened. I think it actually took me longer to recover from her little episode then it took her, but I'm having someone watch her while I'm at work for a while just to make sure. Scary and so sad...there's nothing you can do to help really outside of holding them and waiting it out. While it was happening when her eyes were not rolling back she just looked scared and had no idea why she didn't have any control over herself. Poor thing....

Luckily the day was rainy and almost cold, it was a fantastic break from the high 90's and I know all the dogs enjoyed it as well. We took a slow walk around the park before bed.

So this morning at 4AM (it should be illegal to get up that early) I packed up all the dogs, my boat and gear, plus laptop for work and headed out. I dropped Baxter off at his house as his Mommy is coming home this afternoon, in Boulder, drove all the way to Littleton to drop my dogs off at Kerry's house and then went to work. We're going boating tomorrow....in Deckers which is a beautiful canyon up around Conifer. It's close to town and still has water in it, snow definitley melts too fast here!!

I have been eating good the last few weeks, but haven't gotten a whole lot of strenuous workouts in. Deckers will help with that, it's an easy run but when we're done a few of us are doing Foxton which is a little more difficult and will keep me on my toes!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Poor Olive! How scary!

tayjizzy said...

I'm sorry you had to go through that alone, Tracy. I remeber when seymour had a seizure. It was so scary. I hope that is a one time occurence for Olive. I can't believe she's that old. I remember when you bought her and brought her into Enterprise Rent a piece of Crap to show me. She was so cute!

bigmike600 said...

Hope your doggie is o.k. I hope you had fun kayaking.