Saturday, July 14, 2007

Keeping up with the W's!

So here goes it...the first blog! My sister Jenny and her husband have inspired me to be a healthier person. My other sister Michele has just started to blog and train as well which has made me want to get going myself in that same direction.


My goal in general is to be healthier and get back into my athletic abilities. I used to play all kinds of sports, swimming being the main one but remember my childhood filled with sports of all kinds. My 20's were filled with things I'm not proud of and most of which is my health. My first personal goal is to get back into a routine of exercising regular. Once I get that under control I am going to try running....which I've always thought there's too much jiggle for me to be a descent runner. Time to change how I look at it and just get it done... I really want to participate with my sisters in a Triathalon next year.

I don't have the exercise buddy like Jenny and Mike have, and I don't have a coach/husband like Michele has but I am going to try and self motivate, we'll see how it goes.

I've started a food/exercise journal to keep me in check. This week will be the first trial run at getting into a routine...next week is focusing on the basics and pushing myself to do a little more.

Luckily I live right next to a very large outdoor gym...the Rocky Mountains. Last weekend was a full one with kayaking which after doing the math came to about 5 hours of paddling (easy lots of floating) on Saturday and 4 hours of hard paddling on Sunday. I ran the Arkansas River down by Canon City. Of course it's always beautiful.... here is a link (below) to the group I was with and the commercial pictures. The water was muddy from all the rain the night before which made me feel like I was boating in chocolate milk.


http://www.viewmyimages.com/mp_client/pictures.asp?eventid=0&eventstatus=0&categories=no&keywords2=no&groupid=146&bw=false&sep=false

Choose the 7-22-2007_451 PVT 1245PM link on the page, I have the red helmet and orange boat, and black paddle

7 comments:

bigmike600 said...

Yeah...Love the Keeping up with the W's. That totally rocks.
There are so many triathletes that live by you it's ridiculous. You will have training partners by the dozens lining up before long. Wish I had the guts to go kayaking and not soil myself.

Unknown said...

Love it, very cool.
Hope you join us next July for Danskin. (I sent you a link to story from the news, hope you got it).
Take it a little at a time and find an exercise buddy...... there are lots out there around you, maybe a club or something you could join. If not just look for folks with numbers written down their arms and legs and make them your new friend ..(Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver......blah, blah, blah - I was such a good girl scout)

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Good luck with the training! I linked over here from Mike's blog.

S. Baboo said...

I came from Mike's blog as well. Mike is right, you are well situated for triathlon. Love those Kayak pics. I've always wanted to kayak so my wife (GEEKGRL) and I just bought a tandem for the local lakes.

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

Welcome to blogging. I visit Mike and Jenny daily.

You have a great support system with them and like Mike said there are so many Tri people in Denver, you will be working out with groups before you know it.

Best of luck in your journey.

Dances with Corgis said...

What is up!! :) Welcome to the blogosphere.

You are going to find these people as some of the most encouraging people around... and don't worry about not having a training partner *yet* it will definately come with time. I had a hard time finding some normal people to train with in NYC (everyone seemed like such crazy "type A" triathlete insanoes), but after a few rides I did find some normal people to train with.

Wishing you all the best! May I suggest you post some beginning stats? Just because I am a nosy bastard ;) heehee

Hugs,
Court

Di said...

DWB is right, you'll find someone soon who you can train with.
Who is Mike?
How exciting that you are going to do a tri with your sisters.
I love kayaking. We have the Gulf here. The rivers are small and FL is so dry right now, they're low, the rivers aren't much fun. Lots of hungry gators too. I'll stick to the Gulf and run my chances against the sharks...lol